Thursday, July 30, 2009

Final Prompt

Note: My blog posts are delayed or something. When I was finished last time, it wouldn't publish, until this morning.

My favorite story of the semester was "Rip Van Winkle" by Washington Irving. I liked this story especially because it has to do with experiencing your future right away. It is the equivalent to getting cryogenically frozen or put into a time machine. Yes, he was very old when he woke up, but it was quite the experience for him walking into town 20 years later. He missed out on an entire war. He missed the end of British rule.

This story is very similar to the movie "Planet of the Apes" which is one of my favorite films of all time. Charleton Heston is Rip of course, and the war that took place is like the nuclear holocaust that took place on earth that wiped out the humans and allowed the uprise of apes. In Rip Van Winkle those apes could be the new American way, as opposed to the old British way. I don't think you can pair them together because it was a huge dilemma for Heston who was taken prisoner in the movie. Rip Van Winkle was envied by all the men who had to work.

1 comment:

  1. I SO knew you were going to say this story. And of course I LOVE how you compared it to a movie! Awesome! I could so see that. Although, Planet Of The Apes gave me nightmares :/ GREAT POST! And I enjoyed having you in class :0)

    ReplyDelete