Monday, July 13, 2009

Stowe

I can easily see the evidence that Stowe is purposely using emotion to move her readers to change because truth be told, I nearly cried my eyes out at the end of the story whether this was written over 150 years ago or not. As a person who was anti-slavery, Harriet Beecher Stowe did a fantastic job driving her motive across in the story. You spend so much time getting close to this character Tom who has undeniably loving qualities. As the reader, I feel it's easiest to relate to the character George Selby who was the son of Uncle Tom's original slave owner Arthur Shelby. He looked at Tom as a friend and mentor, and as I was reading I viewed Tom's character in the same light if I was magically inserted into this story.

I think any kind of critical analysis of this story that matches up with second paragraph of Ms. Irvin's Stowe prompt is spot on, because it does all those things for the readers of the story, and back when this was published in 1853, those readers were entrenched in this world and were living out the settings. The story was relatable to many, and so as a best-seller, many were moved by the story and sympathized with african americans for the first time. Many believe that this story was the reason for the American Civil War. I would say that they are probably right to an extent. I'm sure it got the people stirred up and got them talking.

I think many readers started thinking along the same lines of this quote in the story:

"Indeed, ma'am, you can know nothing of them, if you say so," answered the first lady warmly. "I was born and brought up among them. I know they do feel, just as keenly, -even more so, perhaps,- as we do."

No comments:

Post a Comment